Skip to main content

She has become a mother to the motherless


She has become a mother to the motherless
By Hope Mafaranga
When I arrived at Martha Twesigye’s home in Kayonja village, Rubindi Sub-County in Mbarara district, I was welcomed by a girl who looked like 17 years old with a big smile. I later got to know her as Ritah Tushabe one of the many girls that Twesigye takes care of.
Tushabe portrays pictures of a child that has grown in a very happy and loving family. Despite the fact that she is not Twesigye’s biologically daughter, you can hardly tell. She calmly told me to have a sit as she calls her mother. “Mummy in the banana plantation, please take a sit and I call her,” she warmly said.

Starting off
The mother of 10 children, five girls and five boys, Twesigye says that she opened her home for the needy and homeless girls because she did not want to see a girl child being subjected to any kind of abuse.
 Her starting point was about 20 years ago, when of the girls approached her home and told her that she was chased away from home and had nowhere to stay.
“I looked at her and I could not chase her away. I knew God had a reason to why He brought this girl to my doorsteps. I took her inside and waited for my husband to tell him about her. I was scared that he will chase her away but to my shock, he became a father to this girl and more than 20 that followed. My first girl is now a graduate and working in bank,” she said.
She however did not want to disclose her name for fear of her being stigmatized. That was the beginning of seeing her house congested with needy girls including those that are mentally disturbed.
 A former secondary school teacher, Twesigye hated seeing men and other people taking advantage of the disadvantaged girls and she vowed to dedicate herself in counselling them and paying school fees to those that could not afford.
Her inspiration
 After seeing what girls were going through, she could go to the villages to offer free counselling ranging from their body changes, relationships, dangers of schools dropping out and early pregnancies.
This earned her the name of Mama in the area and also parents who are having difficulties to talk to their girls openly send them to her for counselling.
“Most of our girls find themselves in trouble because they do not know what to do and they are not guided.  Because they lack that guidance, they succumb to peer pressure and other temptations,” she said.
Source of funding
Twesigye gets money from her farming activities to cater for the needy girls. “I sell my eggs, matooke, milk and pay for their fees and other requirements. They are part of my family and children that God has blessed me with,” she says. 
  Achievements
She is happy that most of the girls that have passed through her hands are stable and responsible.  Eleven of them are now graduates; others are business women, while others are happily married.
“As a mother what other joy do I what apart from seeing that I have made a difference in people’s lives. You need to visit me on Christmas to see the joy in this house,” she proudly says.
What sets her apart from the rest?
 Twesigye takes care of girls including those with a mental problem. One wonders why she keeps them in her instead of taking them mental clinic buts she defenses her decision that some of them are abused.
“At clinics, when these mentally disturbed girls are taken there, they are sexually abused. I am sure you have seen mad women on the streets with pregnancies; they get there from clinics while others are raped if they are left to roam around. I am trying to save them from all these challenges so I bring a doctor who treats them from here until they are healed,” she said.
Challenges
Twesigye’s biggest problem is finding school fees for all the children she looks after. “Sometimes it’s get tough with finances when I have less money. I can’t send my own children to school leave these ones at home,” she said.  
 She also says that the girls, who are mentally sick, also stay in her home but the susu in the house which makes it hard to clean every day.
 She also disclosed that sometimes she gets girls who have a habit of stealing but with a lot of counselling; they change and become better people.
Future plans
I want to see a world without girls suffering and I will always open my doors for the girls who need help despite their background. “ A part from helping more girls  and give me skills and courage to be good citizens and work hard to  sustain themselves, there is no future plan I have because that’s what God has kept me alive for,” she says.
Testimonies
Royce Nakalema said that she has never seen a woman with a golden heart like Twesigye.
Other people get financial help from donors to do the things Martha is doing. But for she welcomes these girls, take them as her own and it is hard to know her real children and those that are not because she treats them the same. She has a big heart,” Nakalema says.
 Maria Francis Kabarungi, the 80 year old woman who lost all her children and was chased away from her land is speechless on how Twesigye has given her shelter.
I was homeless but Twesigye gave me one. I now childless but Twesigye and her family have been my children,” she says.
Ritah Tushabe who is in S.3 at Kashaka girls says that this is only home she has grown up knowing. “I was brought here when I was in a nursery school and this is my home,” she said.
End


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFSJ graduates 58 African and Arab Science Journalists

Fifty-eight journalists from 30 African and Arab countries graduated from the SjCOOP Program of the World Federation of Science Journalists, Wednesday 10 th October 2012, in Jordan. Following their last encounter with the experienced science journalist who has been their mentor for the last two years, the ‘mentees’ – one of them now editor-in-chief of his newspaper, another now working for the main TV station in her country, and several having published articles in the most prestigious scientific journals – received their certificate from the World Federation of Science Journalists. “It has really been two years of great learning and sharing”, said Hope Mafaranga from Uganda. The class of 2012 is the second group of African and Arab science journalists to successfully complete the SjCOOP training program. In a first phase, from 2006 to 2009, SjCOOP graduated 32 science journalists from Africa and the Arab World. SjCOOP mentees typically begin by revising the ten lessons of the WFSJ

Prince Kijanangoma of Toro unveils his bride

Prince Kijanangoma of Toro unveils his bride Prince   David Kijanangoma 49, of Toro, who has been   giving the king of Toro Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi IV sleepless nights   over the throne has finally got Omugo( Queen) to warm his cold nights. Hope Mafaranga caught up with the couple having a good time at Grand Imperial Hotel in Kampala. Kijanangoma’s side. Agatha Namara has really melted my heart. She is so special to me and close to my heart, soul and body. In fact I cannot take a day without talking to her. Honestly she is the true missing part of my body.   I miss her every second that I am not with her and I cannot wait for December 23, 2017 the day we will be declared husband and wife. That day, my heart will be at peace because it will make a seal that she is mine forever. One first day I saw her at her uncle’s place, my heart missed a beat, I immediately knew that she is the one I have been longing for. Her natural beauty, cute smile, communication s

Hope Mafaranga Tue, Oct 1, 2:33 PM to Nairobi, Pedro UPDF gazettes new dress code, only soldiers to wear red berets, Opposition protests the gazette

 By Hope Mafaranga The Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) has made new changes in the institution’s dress code, which includes uniforms, badges, berets, rank designs, insignia, decorations, accessories and pips. The changes were endorsed by a meeting of the Army Council and the UPDF High Command, chaired by President Yoweri Museveni at State House, Entebbe, after the UPDF dress code committee submitted a report on the rationale of the changes. The UPDF dress code committee said it has been working on the dress code changes since 1996. The UPDF on September 18, this year, published a general notice number 1,013 of 2019 in the national gazette communicating the changes. “The public is hereby informed that the marks, accessories, insignia, decorations and uniforms specified in the schedule to this notice are property of the state or classified stores and anyone found in unlawful possession, selling or dealing in them shall be prosecuted under the Uganda People’s Defence For