Wednesday, 5 August 2015

“My children will not starve while I have my body to sell”


“My children will not starve while I have my body to sell”

| © Hope Mafaranga
January 12, 2015 Country Uganda Filed under HIV and wider development issues 2 Comments
At Katwe-Kabatoro landing site on the shores of Lake George in Uganda’s Kasese district, the HIV epidemic is taking another twist. With few other opportunities to earn a living, many women sell their bodies in exchange for fish, while others face dangerous working conditions in the lake’s salt mining industry.
Susan Kabugho, a 47-year-old mother of six, says she has sex with more than five men in order to survive. “There is no way I am going to look at my children starving, yet there are men here willing to give me fish to feed my children. I have to improvise,” she says confidently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Camp life inspired me into farming

By Hope Mafaranga Elengo training his worker how to use the machine When we left the camp in 2006, we had nothing to turn to a...