Skip to main content

Woman quits accounting job to look after 3,000 HIV orphans in Uganda

By Hope Mafaranga
 
“I was born in a poor family, raised up in a grass-thatched house and cared for by many people,” says Faith Kunihira, the director of Bringing Hope to the Family, on how she was inspired to take care of HIV and vulnerable children.
Kunihira adds that she was born under a coffee tree and ushered in by her grandmother who was a midwife. An accountant by profession, Kunihira never had any personal savings because most of her money was spent on looking after her siblings after her mother separated with her father.
In 2000 and with only sh5000 to her name, Kunihira left her accounting job in Jinja to go back to her community in Kaihura, Kyenjojo district, to look after HIV-orphaned and vulnerable children. She was inspired by her background and many NGOs that did HIV-related work in Jinja.“I knew the stories of the HIV prevalence in my community. I had no money but I had the brain, was sensitised and knew that I wanted to help people in my locality,” the 40-year-old Kunihira says.




A family friend who lived in Kampala gave her a house where she started doing her work by talking to HIV-orphaned children and widows. What moved Kunihira most was a woman who had lost all of her six children and husband to the virus, and was left with 12 orphans. This was Kunihira’s starting point. “I picked up the 12 children and offered them scholastic materials and in less than a month, I had 68 children,” she says.
Kunihira now provides school fees, scholastic materials, healthcare, livelihood skills and psycho-social support to 3,000 children. She also started a clinic, Hope Again, to provide treatment, counselling and following up on children who are infected. The clinic also caters for teenage mothers and expectant mothers exposed to HIV /AIDS. It now provides treatment and support for 800 people living with HIV, 260 of them children.

Kunihira also pays all the expenses of having all the patients’ tests done which include CD4 count at Joint Clinical Research Council in Fort Portal. “No matter the cost, I have to take care of them. Caring for the disadvantaged is a dream come true for me,” she says. Kunihira adds she does this because she was also cared for by people she was not related to, who gave her a meaningful life. “I have to care for others just like I was cared for. I have passed through many people’s hands, if someone had not cared for me, I would not have been the person I am today,” she said.

Kunihira’s project, which is largely supported by the Inter Religious Council of Uganda, is now building a multi-million hospital to accommodate more patients and save the money she has been spending on rent. Equipping the youth with skills Kunihira has built a farm and vocational school to equip the youth with skills to sustain themselves. At Bringing Hope to the Family, girls are taught tailoring and craft making while boys learn carpentry, welding and mechanics. “We currently have 400 girls under our care. We keep them until they are 18 years to protect them from early marriage, early pregnancies and contracting HIV. We counsel them, teach them about family planning and help them make right decisions for their lives,” she explains.

Kunihira also rehabilitates the youth who are addicted to alcohol and drugs. Improving standards of living, Kunihira has supported eight families in Butiti sub-county and 40 more families in Katooke and Kyarusozi sub-counties by giving seeds and teaching them good methods of farming. She also offered 15 wells to the community so that people can have access to clean and safe water. “I give them seeds so they can increase on their harvests and get enough food for their families and sell to earn a living,” she adds. Kunihira has also set up farms and gardens at Kingora village in Kyarusozi sub-county and the village is now a model village where people go to learn modern and improved ways of farming.
Testimonies “I was an idle marijuana man who smoked as if my life depended on cigarettes,” testifies 26-year-old Simple Man Tikitiki. Tikitiki says his life was saved by Kunihira who preached to him and he reformed. “With the help and guidance of Kunihira, I have formed a singers’ group made up of 20 youth. This has helped us generate income for ourselves,” he says. “Bringing Hope to the Family has really brought hope to me. I was hopeless but know I can see the future and I know where I am going,” he adds.


Kunihira, who resisted the pressure of joining politics, says the most significant achievement she has made is helping her community. She adds that creating jobs for 80 people, building a nursery and primary school to cater for vulnerable children gives her joy as well. The major challenges is the sustainability of funds for the project.
Ends


Comments

  1. Thank you team. I am committed to my community more so the children. I would give up all for the sake of these children and knowing that they are not only in Kaihura, I lookforward to reaching out to the children of Uganda as a whole.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WFSJ graduates 58 African and Arab Science Journalists

Fifty-eight journalists from 30 African and Arab countries graduated from the SjCOOP Program of the World Federation of Science Journalists, Wednesday 10 th October 2012, in Jordan. Following their last encounter with the experienced science journalist who has been their mentor for the last two years, the ‘mentees’ – one of them now editor-in-chief of his newspaper, another now working for the main TV station in her country, and several having published articles in the most prestigious scientific journals – received their certificate from the World Federation of Science Journalists. “It has really been two years of great learning and sharing”, said Hope Mafaranga from Uganda. The class of 2012 is the second group of African and Arab science journalists to successfully complete the SjCOOP training program. In a first phase, from 2006 to 2009, SjCOOP graduated 32 science journalists from Africa and the Arab World. SjCOOP mentees typically begin by revising the ten lessons of the WFSJ

Prince Kijanangoma of Toro unveils his bride

Prince Kijanangoma of Toro unveils his bride Prince   David Kijanangoma 49, of Toro, who has been   giving the king of Toro Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi IV sleepless nights   over the throne has finally got Omugo( Queen) to warm his cold nights. Hope Mafaranga caught up with the couple having a good time at Grand Imperial Hotel in Kampala. Kijanangoma’s side. Agatha Namara has really melted my heart. She is so special to me and close to my heart, soul and body. In fact I cannot take a day without talking to her. Honestly she is the true missing part of my body.   I miss her every second that I am not with her and I cannot wait for December 23, 2017 the day we will be declared husband and wife. That day, my heart will be at peace because it will make a seal that she is mine forever. One first day I saw her at her uncle’s place, my heart missed a beat, I immediately knew that she is the one I have been longing for. Her natural beauty, cute smile, communication s

Hope Mafaranga Tue, Oct 1, 2:33 PM to Nairobi, Pedro UPDF gazettes new dress code, only soldiers to wear red berets, Opposition protests the gazette

 By Hope Mafaranga The Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) has made new changes in the institution’s dress code, which includes uniforms, badges, berets, rank designs, insignia, decorations, accessories and pips. The changes were endorsed by a meeting of the Army Council and the UPDF High Command, chaired by President Yoweri Museveni at State House, Entebbe, after the UPDF dress code committee submitted a report on the rationale of the changes. The UPDF dress code committee said it has been working on the dress code changes since 1996. The UPDF on September 18, this year, published a general notice number 1,013 of 2019 in the national gazette communicating the changes. “The public is hereby informed that the marks, accessories, insignia, decorations and uniforms specified in the schedule to this notice are property of the state or classified stores and anyone found in unlawful possession, selling or dealing in them shall be prosecuted under the Uganda People’s Defence For